About Me

My photo
Treasure Island, FL, United States
Just another one of the women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer every 65 seconds.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

My father goes home and well, I did it

i did the Race for the Cure today. I got home and was just about to call my Dad's wife when the phone rang and it was her.

My father died right before I came back there. That was his wish. He is at peace. Sigh. Hard to think of him not being there for me.


The race was very emotional for me. They do a survivor march where we walk two by two and everyone claps and cheers the fact that we are alive. Very touching. I cried some and I don't cry because I am a tough old broad but it got to me. At the end of the march they gave me a rose and we went and sat in bleachers and listened to blah blah by various cancer center talking heads. We all said screw it, left and got in line for the 5K walk.


So we do the 5K. My friend Tammy brought her two teenage daughters and nephew and I had a couple who are dear friends come as well. So we walked. St Pete is beautiful. We walked along the waterfront and through charming neighborhoods. I took about a 1/2 K detour when I HAD to go to the bathroom so I veered off then short-cutted back to meet up with the group. Then we short-cutted again and lopped off probably another 1/2 K so I managed to do 4K.

BUT I forgot my sneaks so I did this in docksiders. Only one blister. What a moron I am but, hey, it was 5 AM.

A bitter-sweet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment