About Me

My photo
Treasure Island, FL, United States
Just another one of the women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer every 65 seconds.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cluster Headaches in late Feb-early Mar lead to BC diagnosis

Well, before the BC diagnosis I had an attack of cluster headaches. I have had 3 episodes of these in the past 6-7 years and you REALLY don't ever want to get these. They are migraines only worse. In me they start out slowly. One a week, then 2 then one a day and gradually they build up to their peak which lasts about 3 weeks. In the peak, they happen 4-5 times a day. Unless you have had a migraine, you have NO idea and even if you have had one, imagine SIX in a row!!!.

For me the only thing that could even touch them was Imitrex. It is a miracle drug for migraine-sufferers. The key is: you have to get the pill down BEFORE the thing kicks in fully. Now these miracle pills cost 25.00 each CO-PAY and my insurance company will allow me THREE pills per week. I am having headaches SIX TIMES A DAY!!!!!. So I am paying out of pocket. Luckily, Walgreens has an Rx program where you pay 20.00/year and they discount all drugs and Walgreens brand stuff so for the standard 9 pill refill I ended up paying 90.00. Not bad but in case anyone wants to know, I spent 1995.00 on generic Imitrex. If I didn't have the money, I would have pawned everything I owned to get the pills.

Anyway, I was coming out of the peak period and was having them maybe 2/day and decided "Gee, it has been a long time since I had a physical and a mammo and a PAP. Maybe I should find a primary care doc and get it done." I have always been healthy..cholesterol fine, BP low/normal. I had a GYN whom I didn't like so hadn't gone to him in 7-8 years. So I pick one and go to the doc. She Rx's a mammo and thus began the BC saga. I had a UTI and she RX'd Cipro, which I took for 3 days and that did it.

So long about this time frame, I develop diarrhea. Very annoying but I sort of ascribed it to the generix Imitrex. Now it is 4 months later and I STILL have it. After I got the BC stuff out of the way, I found a new primary (fired the other one - see The Beginning post) and he ordered a ton of blood tests and stool tests and also a urine test. Those results came back yesterday:
Stool - fine
Urine - mild UTI
Blood - Slightly low red blood cell, very low B12, sugar 100 = high side of normal, cholesterol = high side of normal

So he gave me a B12 shot (YIKES!! NEEDLE!) and told me to take a 1000 mcg supplement. Meanwhile, he has me going to a gastroenterologist whom I see on the 2nd. He wants a colonoscopy. I REALLY don't want to do it but I need to fix this so I am doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment