About Me

My photo
Treasure Island, FL, United States
Just another one of the women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer every 65 seconds.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Not sleeping...not good

You know, it's never good when you can't sleep and I have probably 3-4 nights per week where I fall asleep fine then am awakened either by diarrhea or dreams of breast cancer. Ugh. Don't know which is worse. Those nights, if I manage 3-4 hours, I am doing great. I toss and turn for 2-3 hours then surrender and get up.

I think I figured out that I am suffering from PTSD. This whole BC thing is very stressful and the thought that never leaves you is "What if it comes back?" Anyway, I took the bull by the horns and called the American Cancer Society and asked for a referral to a breast cancer shrink. They called me back three days later (good thing I'm not suicidal) with a phone number for a Dr. Jimmie Holland. I Google her and her website is basically promoting her book on how to deal with breast cancer. She is in NY so I can't see her. I suppose they will press me to read the book then I will feel all better.

So called the onc to get a referral. They called back and said they had a shrink on staff in the onc practice and they would have her secretary, Mary call me. This was at 10 AM. It is now 5 and no call. Again, good thing I am not suicidal.

I recently had a genomic assay done to see how I metabolize various drugs. Can't take anti-depressants. Pain killers need to be administered at 1/8 the dose otherwise, I am gone for 24 hours on 1 pill. Plan to take the test results to the PCP so I can ensure he checks this before Rx-ing something.

A fine mess I am, eh Ollie?

No comments:

Post a Comment