About Me

My photo
Treasure Island, FL, United States
Just another one of the women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer every 65 seconds.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Aaaahhh! 4 days away from Breast Cancer!

Marty and I headed south to Anna Maria Island and the Harrington House B&B last Sunday. We had a lovely gulf-front second floor room with a huge open porch overlooking the gulf. We came home yesterday afternoon all rested and relaxed.

Here is how the days went: AM - wonderful B&B breakfast with fabulous homemade breads - coffee on the porch and reading - PM - dip in the pool - hang around the pool and read - drink a cold beer maybe or just water - afternoon nap- Evening - shower - head out to one of Anna Maria's 5 star restaurants - chow down and head back - look at the moon and the stars - to bed.

Nothing like 4 days/nights doing pretty much nothing. I didn't think about BC during the day but I still dreamed about it. Ugh.

So back to reality and the colonoscopy biopsy found no cancer. Great, I guess but what's up with the diarrhea? So the gastro called in an Rx. I went to pick it up today and insurance won't pay for it (my cost=750.00). ARGHH! Looked up the drug online and it is used for people with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. But the real kicker is, it has sulfa in it. I AM ALLERGIC TO SULFA AND EVERY DOCTOR I HAVE KNOWS THAT!!!!

So what I want to know is:
Whose job is it to check the drug allergies in my chart before calling in a prescription? Whose ass would have been fired when I ended up in the ER after taking one of those pills? Whose insurance would have had to pay for a hospital stay to treat me? Who would have had to sue to cover all the extra expenses? Who HATES the whole tort thing but would have had no alternative?

The moral of the story is: TRUST NO ONE! And be sure to read all contra-indications on any medicine you are prescribed. BTW, After I left a rather ascerbic message around 11AM yesterday, the nurse practitioner called me back at 4:30 PM and said he would prescribe another drug. She told me what it was and I told her I would check it out and get back to her. Needless to say I am very wary of anything they prescribe. I checked it out and it is a steroid. Not wanting to take steroids (steroids for diarrhea? steroids make me GET diarrhea!) so I made an appointment with my PCP. He is on vacation so I can't get in until the 30th.

So I am hanging loose for the weekend then Gyn Wednesday then Birmingham that evening. Back to town late Thursday. On the road again and it feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment